Saturday 2 July 2011

8. For The Love of Money

So have you guys decided whether you want to be an investment banker or management consultant ? I hope you guys did go to each of the companies' website that I listed in previous post and find out about their businesses. Kudos to those who went to their careers section and start looking at the job descriptions. Anyway, in case you have not decided yet, maybe the following videos can help you to make a decision.




Right ! I just re-read my last blog post and I promised to tell you guys how to break into those industries with UOL degrees. Well, I must be out of my mind when I typed that because these industries mostly recruit directly from top schools (and unfortunately UOL degrees are less branded than those from top schools). Don't worry yet! You can still work in those industries but probably not directly after you graduate. 

If you are interested in IB, you can start by joining boutique investment / asset management firms or even the Big 4 (PwC, E&Y, KPMG, Deloitte) corporate finance related advisory, then build up relevant experiences and most importantly, networking ! If you are interested in management consulting, your best bet is to get internships and then hopefully full time offer from the firm you work for. I will (hopefully) cover about how to do that in detail later.

I still have lots of things to share with you all but I am extremely busy at the moment. However, I will not leave you guys with nothing to read this week. So, for all of you who are interested in IB, let me direct you to this wonderful website called Mergers and Inquisitions which tells you how to break into investment banking industry (it also tells you a bit about private equity industry) but note that the author of that blog is based in US so the context may not directly be applicable to Asia  (still it is worth reading). 

On the other hand, if you are into management consulting and want to find out more about this industry, this website called Management Consulted is worth reading (again note that the author of that blog is based in US, so the context may not be directly applicable in Asia). 

Next week, I will start covering about what you (UOL students) should do during your undergraduate studies other than studying, studying and studying.

Have a nice weekend !

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I have applied for SIM-UOL Bsc(Hons) banking and finance and got accepted. However,I am contemplating whether to switch course or not as Economics and finance seems like a good choice too(but i heard its SUPER TOUGH!). I like both courses and wonder if you can give me some advice since your degree encompasses economics too. thank you for your time!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eventhough the degree is banking and finance, you can opt to have lots of economics as your electives. If you go for Economics and Finance, then you are "forced" to study Micro, Macro and Econometrics whereas if you choose Banking and finance, you are only required to choose one of them (if I remember correctly).

    The privilege of choosing Banking and Finance, is that you get to study Investment Management in your 3rd year, whereas if you choose Econs and Finance, you get to study Quantitative Finance.

    So, my advice is compare both degrees' year 3 subjects and see which one you prefer. You don't have to make the decision right now, since first year' subjects are almost identical for both degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your advice! Really appreciate that:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank for sharing! Looking forward to your next post regarding what we should do when we're an undergraduate in UOL programme. I enrolled into ANF programme. Part of me wanting to go into Accounting industry and the other want to go into Banking industry. But i wonder if ANF will help me much in Banking industry. If i'm interested in Merger and Acquisition and Finance advisory job, what would be the most of it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely go for AnF programme. Firms in banking industry never look for graduates with any specific degree but firms in accounting industry are looking for graduates in Accounting related degrees ONLY.

    Having said that, make sure that you choose Corporate Finance and Investment Management for your electives. If you add Financial Intermediation to your elective then you already get the main essence of Banking and Finance degree. No one can stop you from going to banking industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I have just submitted my application to AnF in UOL. However, regarding the electives, I am only able to choose either Investment Management or Financial Intermediation and not both for my electives.

      I am, too interested in Finance advisory job, any advices?

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete